Have you been looking for simple calf stretches to do while at work in standing? Well, here you go! These calf exercises do not require you to use complicated gym machines. Just use your body weight and there you go.It is important to hold the calf stretches for at least 20-30 seconds for an effective stretch and repeat it during the day. According to Australian Physiotherapy association, if weakness in the calf muscles can lead to calf tears! So prevention is definitely better than cure when it comes to tight muscles.
Effective calf stretches in standing
- Stand arms length away from a wall and with feet shoulder width apart.
- Place your right foot about 2 feet in front of your left.
- Keeping both heels flat on the ground, let both knees bend, you should feel like you are lowering yourself straight down.
- Remember to keep both heels flat on the floor.
- Feel the calf stretch and hold for 20 seconds
- Put the foot of the affected calf against the wall
- keeping your knees straight, get your hip closer to the wall
- hold the calf stretch for at least 20 seconds
- Repeat at least 5 times and 3 times a day for an effective stretch
It is important to get the form right to avoid injury to the joint of muscle. If you are unsure of how to do calf stretches or whether they will help, do talk to our Physio or Exercise Physiologist.